Friday, June 26, 2009

You're too late, they turn the waterfall off at 5 in the UP, eh!


Today got off to a great start despite a combined total of 3 1/2 hours of sleep, eh! But were we on the road by 6? You betcha!

Wisconsin did not have as much cheese as I had hoped but T*Star has assured me that there will be cheese on the way back. (Praise da Lawd)

It was an amazing nine hour drive full of talking, music, dance interludes and a few bad jokes. Don't make me flip you the parakeet, eh!

In a frowny sad way, it was Gibraltar deja vu when we finally made it to Munising. (Darn those glitches in the Matrix.) In 2001, the final leg of our Gibraltar trip was to be spent in Morocco. It was the trip that never was because T*Star, Colleen, myself and perhaps Eva, (Eva? Were you there? I'm drawing a blank.) set our alarms but never got up to catch the ferry. (Hey, we were sleepy!) Well, today we got up but didn't make it in time for the last 4 o'clock ferry to Painted Rocks! (Damn the man and his ridgid ferry schedual.) *tear*

Instead T*Star and I went for a hike! First down to see Miners Castle, then down 1 mile through the mosquito infested trail that led us to the most amazing beach on Lake Superior. After couting the 20,000 mosquito bites on our bodies, while enjoying the beach, we decided that 20,000 was not enough. After a quick Off! bath, we follwed the trail down to Miners Falls. It was great, until we were informed that the falls were turned off at 5. What the heck?? Oh, it was a joke. Silly. Falls don't get turned off. Only about half a dozen mosquito bites on this trail, at least we have something to look forward to next time. In the end, the beach and the falls were so beautiful, I don't remember the bites... well, maybe they were erased from my memory by the Benadryl I had to take when my pinky was bitten and began to swell. Mmmmm drugs.






Thankfully, dinner was provided in the form of pasties. (No, not those! They are pronounced pass-tees. You have a dirty mind.) Mmmm for meat filled pie thingies with ketchup and ranch dressing.

Tomorrow is a new day with a new island to take on! Bring it Mackinac! You ain't got nothin' on me!

It's midnight and I can barely keep my eyes open but I'm..... umm happy!

Besos y Abrazos,
Nancy

P.S. One 5 lb.bag of ice is not enough for the blue cooler but a 20 lb. bag is way too much on top of two 5 lb. bags. You try try finding the turkey under 30 lbs. of ice in the back seat of a Jeep. You'll come up with apples every time! What did we learn? Don't listen to Nancy. (T*Star is making me type, "Always listen to T*Star".... when it comes to ice.)

2 comments:

  1. 1. I like the mention of the cooler in the blog. It means that a part of Julia and me is on the trip.

    2. I would like to hear more about the spanish emersion part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love LOVE that you had pasties. THAT is comfort food. Those who have never experienced are, indeed, missing out.

    ReplyDelete